Wednesday, July 27, 2011
Monday, July 25, 2011
It's been a while since we updated you on all of the great things going on with our crew. July has been a busy month and God has been really good to us in many, many ways. Basically, Jeff and Haylee have spent the past three weeks together and Liesa and Jackson have done the same.
Liesa and Jackson have had some wonderful adventures this month: Swimming. Sleeping late. Meeting new friends. Spending time with the family. Heading to Atlanta/Stone Mountain with some friends from home. Riding the bike around the new neighborhood here in Brandon, Mississippi. Tons of fun.
Jeff and Haylee spent a week at Super Summer Mississippi on July 9 to 15 at Mississippi College. Super Summer is a Leadership/Discipleship/Evangelism Training Conference for high school students and is one of the MAJOR things that Jeff has missed from the USA during the past four years. Haylee attended Super Summer as a student and Jeff was able to serve again as a part of the Executive Staff...his 12th year to do this. It was a tremendous week and God taught us so many things.
On July 15, Haylee and Jeff rushed to catch up with a group from Oxford who were headed to Togo, West Africa. The experience of serving the Lord as part of a team of volunteers was a special one. It was good to NOT be the leader of the team or the missionary-in-charge or having to worry about fitting in to a particular organizational strategy. We could just simply relax and minister to the precious people around us. Haylee was involved in children's ministry. Jeff was a part of a construction team building a hospital in an area of severe poverty in West Africa. God was good to use us and remind us of how important it is to minister to those who feel they have no hope.
Jeff and Liesa have a few days left before beginning to serve as missionaries-in-residence at Mississippi College. We are so excited about working with students in a variety of ways. Please pray for us as we serve in this ministry opportunity.
Haylee and Jackson are nervous and excited about beginning school here in Brandon. Jackson will be in 7th grade at Brandon Middle School and Haylee will be in 9th grade at Brandon High School. Please pray for their adjustment to a new school and new friends.
We are grateful for your prayers. We'd love to have you come to Brandon, MS and see us. If you're in the 'hood, please let us know.
Jeff, Liesa, Haylee, and Jackson
Thursday, July 7, 2011
Haylee presented this letter to us last week. We wanted to share it with you.
Mom and Dad,
Thanks for all yall have done for me. I love you guys so much. Thank you for following God and obeying Him by being missionaries. It's been a lot of fun for me to live in another country and make new friends. I know that you care about me and Jackson and want the best thing for us, and even though we don't always appreciate what all you do for us, know that we are grateful. I love that we, as a family, can all be together and have fun just by talking. I've gotten to do some pretty amazing things in my lifetime and it's all because you chose to follow God and do His will. Because of you, I have become a better Christian and you have taught me so many things about obeying God's will. I really do love yall and I hope we have as much fun in Mexico as we did in Peru. Thank you for all that you do for me.
From your daughter,
Would you join us in praising God for a wonderful daughter and son who early in life understand OBEDIENCE to God's will? What a blessing.
Saturday, July 2, 2011
God is faithful. That is all we can say as we celebrate what He has done over the past (almost) 4 years as we have served as missionaries. We have failed many times but He has not. We have been impatient but He has not. We have been unsure of things but He has not. Thank you so much to those of you who pray for us. As we finish this term of service as cross-cultural missionaries we know that you were a key component. You can celebrate knowing that you are a part of the the work God has done through us.
These past two weeks have been a busy blur. After a quick trip up the Amazon River to visit with some student missionaries, Jeff returned to Lima and we began the process of packing up the house. Here's what we've been up to:
- The mover's arrived on June 21 to pack things up and all of our earthly belongs were loaded on a truck on June 22. We 'camped out' on cots and sleeping bags for the rest of that week.
- On June 23, our teammates celebrated 2 1/2 great years of ministry in Peru, Bolvia, and Ecuador.
- On June 24, Haylee and Jackson racked up some great accolades at Awards Day at school. We had one last dinner with the Pennington's and Bredbenner's and headed off to the airport.
- June 25. We arrived in Brandon, MS and moved in the VERY NICE missionary home of Crossgates Baptist Church. We have been SO blessed by this great church.
- June 26. Fantastic worship at Crossgates and went to see CARS 2 with the McMinn's (Liesa's sister.) We also picked up a vehicle from Mr. W.C. Young from The Macedonian Call Foundation that we can use during our time in the USA.
- June 27. Got on a plane and flew to Richmond, VA to the International Learning Center for 5 days of wonderful fellowship with other missionaries from around the globe. This was a great week of fun and meetings.
- July 2. We drove to Washington, D.C. and we're here for the weekend with my mom and my brother and his family.
We'll return to Mississippi on July 5 and hopefully will get to see more of our family and friends in Mississippi. Thank you for your prayers! We want to see all of you soon!