You'll hear much over the next few weeks in Southern Baptist churches about giving to the Lottie Moon Christmas Offering. You should give! A lot! But, don't just settle for giving to missions when you can be a SENDER of missionaries.
Why be a sender?
- Sending is something God does. Our heavenly Father is a sender. He was motivated by love to send His Son so that we could be rescued by a message of hope. Be a part of sending missionaries who are motivated by love to proclaim a message of hope. When you SEND missionaries you are following the example of your heavenly Father.
- Sending is the responsibility of the church. The hope of Galatians 3:14 is that 'hope would come to the Gentiles.' Jesus clearly communicated with his early followers that His Church would be His Workers. As a part of the church you fulfill Christ's command when you SEND missionaries.
- Sending missionaries is about more than money.
- We have to provide spiritual support because of the spiritual battles (Eph 6:12).
- We have to provide emotional support because of the challenges that cross-cultural workers face. Emotional support can be provided by phone calls, emails, visits to the field, and other expressions of kindness and love.
- We have to provide accountability because iron sharpens iron (Prov 27:17). Mature, constructive accountability of those you support is a part of your role as a Sender. Ask questions. Challenge those you Send to grow spiritually and avoid sin. Many missionaries are in lonely, isolated places. Your accountability role can play an important part in their lives.
- We must provide financial support. It all belongs to God so make sure you're a good steward.
As you generously give to missions this Christmas, why not make a commitment to be the best Sender of missionaries that you can be?